Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Illness Galore!

What a weekend. Saturday we helped Katy, Peter and Fredrik move to their new house in St. Paul. I noticed Madi was pretty hot so I removed a layer of clothing and hoped that would do the trick. When we got home she was pretty hot again so I took her temp...101.5! Whoa, bad mommy! I gave her some Motrin right away and just watched her. I noticed a rash on her hands and feet but didn't think much of it. I called the nurse line and they said to call her doctor. I called Dr. Phillips, her pulmonologist, because I don't really trust the Buffalo pediatrician. They're too busy all the time and just not as educated with CF. He asked if she had a rash and I said she did. He said to keep watching her and to call him Sunday if she doesn't sleep well. Madi woke up about 3 times during the night and had a fever of 99.1. Sunday came around and all hell broke loose! Curt awoke to dog poop on our bedroom floor and on Madeline's bedroom floor. He walked downstairs to find dog poop EVERYWHERE! It was in at least 10 spots. Okay, so the dog obviously had diarrhea during the night when we were sleeping. We didn't know and she was sleeping on our bed with poop-smeared fur on her butt. Gross, we were sleeping with a poopy dog all night. An early morning trip to Cub was made to rent a steam cleaner and the dog was promptly bathed and put in her kennel with only her water dish, bedding and toys. I put all the bedding in the wash to clean any lingering poop germs. I called Dr. Phillips again and he said that since she still was feverish, had a rash, and didn't sleep well she should either go to urgent care or to bring her into the clinic on Monday. I hate the Buffalo E.R. so I opted for the latter. Monday came around and I was staying home with Madi since she wasn't feeling great. I also called the vet for the poopy dog. Turns out the dog has worms (hookworms to be exact). Gross. It is really not fun bringing a sick baby and a sick dog to the vet, by the way. Both wanted constant attention from me. I got the meds from the vet and hurried the dog home and plopped her back in her kennel as Madi waited for me in the car to go to the U of M CF Center. We saw the nurse practitioner, Carly, at the CF Center and she knew right away that what Madi has is Hand, Foot, and Mouth Virus and she's cutting an upper tooth. Click here for what the Hand, Foot, Mouth Virus is. That's what is causing the rash and fever. Okay, that's manageable. The virus is extremely contagious so she has to stay home until it is cleared up. It's a virus so it's not treatable by antibiotics. She feels okay now and is off and on with a low fever. I was home with her yesterday and Curt and Bethany are taking care of her today. Hopefully no more rashy spots show up today so she can go back to daycare. Oh, and the dog is still pooping all the time so she is spending all her time kenneled or outside on the rope. It has been an exhausting couple of days to say the least.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhhh! i hope you and curt are keeping sane with the dog issue, what a mess. Glad to hear about madi's CF wellness, but sorry to hear about the virus. hopefully she has a speedy recovery. you have a beautiful daughter:)
Jaime

Lisa Webster said...

Wow! When I talked to you Saturday evening, everything seemed good! My how things change! Hope Madi and Maggie feel better soon!
Love ya!
Lisa

Lisa Webster said...

as i was blog-hopping, i came across this blog. check it out.
http://www.cfhusband.blogspot.com/

Katy said...

Is Madi better today (Wed)? That was nice of B to help out.